90-year-old Preston Fish Market Undergoing Restoration
Article posted on: 21st August 2015
Clancy Consulting is currently working on the restoration of the canopy at the Grade II listed Preston Fish Market. This restoration forms Phase 1 of the Markets Quarter Project.
The Fish Market site was used to trade wares long before the canopy was built. A second hand clothes and shoe market was known to have taken place circa 1906 overlooked by the Farmers Arms on the corner of Orchard Street and Market Street, the name of which can still be seen today on the building façade.
Built in 1924 and Grade II listed in 1980, the canopy itself is a steel structure with cast iron decorative plates enclosing the columns. The steel columns are in poor condition suffering from extensive corrosion due to water ingress.
The photos below show the steel column and decorative plates following their removal by a metalwork restoration specialist. One of the 10 columns is being stripped down to determine its condition and to agree the extent of repairs.
Later phases of the project include the construction of a brand new modern indoor market hall built under part of the larger 1875 covered market canopy which will also be restored to its former glory.
The current Indoor, Outdoor and Car Boot and Flea Markets will remain open throughout the restoration.
For more information regarding the Markets Quarter project visit: http://www.prestonguildcity.co.uk/invest/key-project-areas/city-north/markets-quarter