1860’s Backford Hall Being Converted Into Private Housing
Article posted on: 3rd July 2015
The Grade II listed Backford Hall just outside Chester was built in 1863 in Jacobethan style – a mix of Jacobean and Elizabethan styles. It was built for Lt Col Edward Holt Clegg, part of a Gayton landed gentry family that had owned the estate since the 18th century. There had been two previous houses on the site, the earliest dating back to the 16th century.
The 40-room building with its galleried hall, mahogany staircase, twisted chimneys and ornamental ceilings was bought by Cheshire County Council in 1946 for just £10,000. The council agreed to sell Backford Hall in 2014 so that new homes can be created.
The development, conducted by Jones Homes (North West) Ltd in Alderley Edge, is to feature 63 new dwellings ranging from large detached houses and semi-detached affordable housing to 10 new one, two and three bed apartments within the original Backford Hall building. Clancy Consulting have been appointed to propose and design the new heating and hot water system within the refurbished Hall building.
We are intending to provide a new central boiler plant to feed a Heat Interface Unit (HIU) in each apartment. Each HIU shall provide heating and large volumes of instantaneous hot water for the residents.
The transformation of the historic hall will see the grand ceilings preserved in the most part as part of the heritage requirements. The construction of the additional housing will hopefully bring life back to empty buildings and is a great way to provide more housing whilst maintaining our green belt spaces.